Monday, December 20, 2010

Perhaps it's time for some good

I was watching a marathon of Pit Bulls and Parolees today in bed. Before I knew it, the entire day had come and gone. I was literally that enchanted with the show and all I kept thinking about was how there were so many dogs and only so many people there. Even if the owner, Tia, had 20 people there, there are anywhere between 150-200 dogs there. I wonder how much human interaction these dogs get a day.  She is doing a great thing, but there just isn't enough of anything going around. Even if she had enough donations, there wouldn't be enough man power to help out.

That got me to thinking. There are plenty of animal shelters similar to Villalobos Pit Bull Rescue Center and they all have similar problems. There are way too many animals needing homes. I can't adopt animals right now but what I could do is volunteer. I'm sure it would be mostly cleaning kennels, feeding animals etc but it would still free up more time for the people who work there to do what they need with the animals to get them ready for adoption.

I'm not doing anything right now. I'm not working and I'm left alone in the house all day long. I might as well do something good with my free time assuming I can borrow the car while Daylan works. It would give me some adult interaction, I could tame my pet fever, it would give me something to do that would be beneficial and it would look good on a resume. Who knows, maybe I could donate stuff from time to time. Food, blankets, toys or things of that nature. Obviously I can't donate a lot, but I'm sure I could do a little here and there. Besides, I could maybe help these animals get loving homes by helping with my own marketing.

Who knows how long it will be till I get a job in Florida and I don't know how much I'll be working when I get there, but maybe I could find a shelter to volunteer with once a week or so. It would be good for my soul and who knows, maybe Gabriel would get a kick out of it. He likes to go to the pet store with me to look at animals. Some animals would need to be kid tested to make sure they can go to a family. Gabriel would probably think it is fun.

I don't know, it is just a thought I have been entertaining. I've been thinking about a lot of stuff. That would help and I've thought about possibly starting up the process to pump and donate breast milk (to hospitals or breast milk banks-who pay per ounce-) and donating eggs/plasma. I think that will be a long and expensive process but it is just another thought I've been entertaining.  I think volunteering at a shelter is easier and much less of a commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment