Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Minor grocery store issues.

Today was the first time I went to the grocery store and was not happy with the purchases. We got a few great things at decent prices, but it didn't seem like everything added up. On top of that, I just didn't have enough good coupons so I left rather disappointed. I only saved a little over $6.00 which just seems pointless to me. I do understand that usually I get huge amounts on the "You saved" section because of the meat specials at Albertson's but this week was so weak.

A lot of the coupons out there are for processed foods or canned foods. That isn't exactly the healthiest way to go. What needs to happen is that it should be cheaper for healthy food. Isn't it weird that we can get burgers for $.99 and it still costs $6.99 for a small salad that won't even begin to fill your stomach? A milkshake is $.99 while juice is $2.99-$3.99. Hamburger Helper is 10 for $10 and it is filled with fat, sodium, cholesterol and calories. It is nothing but powder flavoring. Most deals, BOGO specials or coupons are for disgusting foods. I worked in a grocery store and it baffled me what would come off the carts and on my conveyor belt. I'm ashamed to say that I did it for a while as well. It was so much cheaper that way.

Now I am working on getting healthier foods and so far we are doing well. Daylan has grown accustomed to grabbing vegetables when we shop and he doesn't even look at the canned stuff. We still have some as a back up, but I've only had to use it once in a month. It was because I didn't have any peas for my beef stew. It just isn't as nice on the wallet. Why can't it just be cheaper to get healthy food?

America is allegedly the most obese country in the world and that really is not hard to believe. If you are a young and single person or a large family who is pretty much on poverty, it is easier to grab a burger than to eat fruits and vegetables. The temptation is there. We understand it very well but I always get on Daylan about us not eating fast food all the time. The only problem is if we really cut down on the price of fruits, vegetables, milks/cheeses and meat, then it will screw over the wrong people. The farmers aren't who we need to get angry at. I just think that junk food should cost more. A pack of Nabisco cookies should cost more than a salad.

I wish I could write the president a letter and know he would actually read it. In that letter I would propose that he not be so damn demanding about forcing health care upon people. If he just decreased the cost of healthy food and increased the cost of junk food, then people would eat better. If they ate better than they wouldn't be so sick nor so obese. Of course there are idiots out there, but the smart and sane people would follow through with it. If we raised more kids to eat healthy, then they would pass on those habits to their families. I just know that this isn't going to happen.

In the meantime, I will work on more coupons and hope that I am able to catch some really good deals. It's just a shame that more fruits and vegetables aren't on sale. I really should research when certain stuff is in season. Maybe one day I will perfect all of this.

Freganism, to a limit, is sounded better every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment