Thursday, January 27, 2011

A place to call our own

Daylan made a promise that he would go walking with me three times a week, and I make sure that he sticks to that promise (although I need to work on getting him to walk more than half a mile). Today we decided we wanted to walk around downtown and we parked right in front of this rinky-dink furniture store. We did find a few things we liked amongst all the "little old lady" furniture. I'm not even kidding. It was couches with wild 70's print or 30's floral patterns. It was porcelain cat figurines to put on your bed. Entertainment units that were massive but only could hold a small tv. I'm sure some of it was new but some of it just couldn't have been.

Inside the store we did find a table that we liked. It was small but tall. It was still large enough to have room for four people but it wasn't the standard dining room table that was made to fill up an entire room. Because it was tall, it had a sliding door underneath to store things like place mats, napkin holders or whatever you wanted to put underneath it. The chairs also swiveled, which apparently is a huge deal for Daylan. We both liked it because it was so tall, since we are both vertically gifted, but it didn't take up a lot of room. I still believe that it was able to extend to a large size but Daylan seems to disagree. Even if it doesn't, I still like it despite the fact that it is light wood. I can always buy a can of wood stainer and just have at it. I love dark woods like cherry or espresso.

Another thing we found was a living room set. It was a couch, love seat and recliner in this gorgeous chocolate micro suede. It was huge and fluffy but it was still firm which was a surprise. I'm not sure if it was something I liked or not but I also know that a firm seating arrangement would be better on my back in the long run, especially when I do decide to have another child (not to mention it would be easier to get up off of). We know we wouldn't have room in the lake house, but we then started to imagine having our own house. If the living room was large enough, this set would definitely fit in it. The loveseat and couch both had a seat that was used to recline so it wouldn't be like Daylan would be the only one to prop his legs up. I already know that his lazy ass would occupy the recliner, and he would dub it "his throne." Yes, insert a rolling of the eyes as you re-read "his throne".

All that did was prompt a house conversation. It's no secret that we both want a house since we talked about starting to save up for it once he takes over the restaurant (Mr. T's). We both agree we want a three bedroom house. He wants the third bedroom to be his "man cave" and I want a bedroom big enough to where I could put a vanity table in there. I could just do my makeup separately. I still want a bedroom for guests, so I suppose a 4BR house is what we would need but who knows when we would be able to afford that. I also know I would want the master bedroom on the opposite side of the house from the other bedrooms. I want to be able to watch tv in bed without Gabriel hearing it. Not to mention the fact that I don't want my sex life to resonate through the house, especially with house guests.

I mentioned that we should get into house rental and/or house flipping in our later years. His grandmother and uncle do it and they are doing very well for themselves. Andy is in his early 40's, is single and still owns an Escalade. The house he is in is a house he is flipping. It has a top of the line kitchen that is conducive for mass quantity of cooking and the whole top story was converted to be a huge master bedroom and bath. There aren't any other bedrooms. I suppose it is geared towards a wealthy bachelor chef who enjoys entertaining at his/her house on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to always move from house to house but it would be nice to buy a house, once we are finished with what we want to do with it, and flip houses to sell back.

Another thing I mentioned is to one day buy one of those huge colonial homes that we see. If we were to fix it up, we could live in one part of the home, such as the top half, and have another family live in the bottom half. They pay most of our mortgage as their rent and we would be living cheaply. However it would still mean that we would have to have the money to buy the place and either fix it up or convert it back to a house. It would be so neat to have a family, or couple, that we like occupying the other half of the house.

What we would probably do is join his uncle on a forclosure sale and see if we could buy one of these homes and just fix it up. It would be far cheaper than what most people seem to be doing. It would also get our foot in the door for the business his uncle is in. I know that Daylan will be the general manager for this restaraunt, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take part in the family business, especially since they are all doing very well for themselves. Between Grammie, Grandpa Sir and Andy, they own about 110 homes that they rent out. Come on now. Just assume that they are all $500 a month, that is $55,000 a month that they are just earning. Grammie and Grandpa Sir own most of them but Andy owns a few himself. That certainly is not a bad way to earn some money.

It will take a while for us to get into, but that is just what we were daydreaming about when we were walking today.

No comments:

Post a Comment