Sunday, January 30, 2011

That theory went out the window.

Supposedly the human brain does hundreds of functions at one time. It regulates your breathing, it sends commands to keep your heart pumping, it sends commands down your nerves to your muscles to have spasms and you are constantly thinking. The phrase "So stop thinking!" is physically impossible. If we were to stop, we would have already expired. The only thing possible is quieting the mind. Even then the brain is constantly working. Talk about having employee of the month every month. I have also heard that if you die in a dream, you will die in real life. I don't know if that is true, but what I know is false is the theory that if you wake up in the middle of a dream, you won't be able to go back where you left off.

If there is one thing people need to know about me is I despise working fast food. I've done it for ten years and I find it degrading. I've worked for Pizza Hut, Burger King, Sonic, Golden Corral and Whataburger (for two months). I kept having to go back because it was the only thing that would pay anything worth a damn. I don't ever want to go back because of how embarrassed I personally feel whenever I work there. The smell of my clothes is a major turn-off as well. Now that people know this, they will understand why the following dream was more like a nightmare to me.

 In this dream, I was working in a fast food chain. I have no proof that it was McDonald's, but it was just a feeling I got. I never heard anyone say it, I never saw the logo, but it just had that smell. Every possible scenario that could have happened, did in fact happen. It was also so extreme. Rarely did the same situation repeat itself but it all seemed to have the same outcome because I kept waking up. When I did wake up, I would try to stay awake long enough to distract myself but when my head hit the pillow, I would be back into that horrible world of fryer grease, visors and burger juices.

The manager reminded me of the manager I had at Whataburger, Jamie, and I hated her there. She was the same pretentious woman, but I never saw her face. I was in the lobby trying to stock things up and wipe stuff down and I'd be getting yelled at for not staying up front, even though there was someone already there. There were three places I was suppose to stock and organize and it was a mountain of stuff in these stations. It had to be at its max in order to be perfect (which I overstock anyway so I don't have to go back anytime soon). I'd wake up.

The dream would either start over or continue with my being behind the counter taking an order. The screen is so unfamiliar to me. The abbreviations are foreign, the combo numbers are a mystery (except for number one and number two which are the same no matter where you go) and the way the computer worked baffled me. A customer would tell me with such speed that they wanted a number seven, number nine and number four and I would constantly have to turn around to look at the menu behind me because I had no idea what they were ordering. Here is the bitching manager telling me that I should know all this by now, because my entire first day was spent behind the counter. I'd wake up.

On to another dream sequence. I'm still behind the counter and I happen to recognize a face. I have no idea who this person actually is, but in my dream he was in fact a regular. Maybe I worked here before? He looks at me and his eyes brighten as he has that hint of recognition. It was almost a relief to him because it appeared, to me, that he wouldn't have to look at another stranger. I did in fact tell him that I left, moved to Texas and just recently came back, for a year. I'd wake up again.

Bathroom trips didn't help. Paying attention to the tv didn't help. Getting drinks of water didn't help. I'd still wake up constantly and I'd still go back to this horrific dream. I'd still wake up disoriented and fatigued because it felt like I hadn't even gone to sleep at all. It didn't matter that the time on the dvr kept moving on. 3:00. 3:43. 5:23. 8:45. Not even glaring into the sunlight would help. I'd still go right back to the same dream.

People are ordering these things is such extreme quantities. A whole party or a family would be in front of me. They are ordering 13 burgers, 22 fries, 30 drinks and the computer won't lump each thing together. I am scattering through the screen to make sure the order is right, and these people are so impatient with me. I'm panicking intensely. They look at me like I am an idiot because how hard can fast food be, honestly? Anyone can do it. It's the bottom of the totum pole in experience and yet here I am struggling. I'd wake up again.

I'm back in the dream but I am trying to mop or clean the bathrooms. Right when I finish a task, it magically gets messy again. The more times I do it, the worse it ends up getting and all the while I am being called to return to the counter. I am being reprimanded for wasting time because it is obvious that I haven't done anything at all. This whiny, power-hungry manager is talking down to me and forgets that I have as many years of experience as her (it just isn't all at once and all in one company). The title has gone to her head, as it did in Whataburger, and I am fighting to not yell back in frustration. I'd wake up.

Back again I'd go and I'd leave. My parents would be there to pick me up, Gabriel would be there asking why I wasn't home. Clocks would always say 2pm, which was supposed to be my time to clock out, but it would never happen. Seconds would tick away but the time never changed. It was like I was chained there. I could not leave. I'd wake up thinking that this would be the end but without fail I am back in this dream that literally is a nightmare to me.

Now that I know dreams can in fact either start over entirely or start where you left off, why can't this happen on dreams I actually enjoy, like hot dreams with Taylor Lautner? Yes, I've had dreams where Daylan says I giggle and Taylor was the reason why. No, these dreams away go away even when I fall back asleep immediately. I'd even concentrate on that dream in hopes to go back. Instead, I go right back to the dream that I would try to avoid. Fast food. What garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment