Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday afternoon + Dinner date at the house= A busy ass day!

We were supposed to go to the laundry mat  to wash clothes and the bedding, but I am glad that we didn't we wouldn't have had time to finish what we were supposed to do. Six hours just seems to pass before you know it. It's a good thing I started to do my chores yesterday!

As I shared, we ended up cleaning the house but I knew I was still going to have things to do today. I was going through the advertisements for Albertson's and HEB to see what was on sale this week. Last week I went and wrote down the dishes I wanted to cook that week and wrote down the ingredients I needed. I didn't do that this week, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake. This week I just wrote down what was on sale, cut out the coupons that was in the advertisements and organized the coupons I knew I wanted to use. While I am thinking about it, I should organize everything and put it in my coupon book since Daylan bought it for me.

We walk inside and I am on a mission. We walk from end to end of the grocery store trying to find the things that I wanted to get. I actually was able to get blueberries and strawberries at a decent price, thank goodness. I got more ingredients that I needed to cook dinner tonight. I got things that were BOGO deals. I got items that were 10 for $10 even though I only grabbed a few of each. We even grabbed stuff we didn't need but got anyways because either it was a good deal or thought we would need for tonight. In the end we spent $108.55 which is a little higher than our normal bill, but we saved $58.06. Most of this was healthy foods so this was a very good week!



   In this picture we got four boxes of cereal. Two are Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and two are Pops. Daylan loves the kiddy sugar coma cereals. I like the adult cereals with 1/4 the sugar. That was 4 for $8. We also got four cases of soda which was 4 for $10.88 but I swiped a $1 off coupon from another store so that was $9.88 for four cases. The beer wasn't on sale but I like it. I got three cans of biscuits for $5, so with that I got a free half gallon of OJ (which I had to get a rain check for at the customer service desk) and a free dozen of eggs. I got five bags of various frozen vegetables, in case I run out of fresh produce or it goes bad. I got a free bottle of Excedrin for when Daylan gives me a headache when he yells at the "People in the XBOX." The cream cheese was BOGO. There were also three cans of Hunts tomato sauce 3 for $1. Everyone knows bananas are cheap. The strawberries were $3.99 so half price and I got two pints of blueberries for $5. Mushrooms were on sale for $1.79, which was half off so I grabbed two.  Two rolls of paper towels were something we needed. Two boxes of spaghetti for $1 each. I eat bread constantly so two loaves of bread for $1.49 a piece. The pork was BOGO. For $18.98 we got 20lbs worth of pork. I also got a 5lb bad of potatoes for $3.99. We got syrup, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce because we ran out. I cook a lot with the latter two. The bag of sweet potato chips were free. Last but not least was two cans of diced tomatoes for $.79 a can.

It could have been better. I could have had more BOGO deals, I could have had more coupons and we could have gone without the beer but all in all it wasn't too horrible. We ended up really stocking up our fridge and freezer. Our fridge really needs to be cleaned out but I think we do well in there. You wouldn't know it by the door but it's pretty much healthy food. The whole top shelf is pretty much juice, tea, water and milk. The top drawer is usually our cheese and lunch meat, but we are out. The two bottom drawers are for the fresh vegetables. The middle section is yogurts, biscuits and other miscellaneous things. We certainly are getting better about keeping healthy food in there.



The freezer is just meats and frozen vegetables. We do have waffles and two frozen pizzas for nights I just don't want to cook. We normally don't have AS much meat in there, but since we got a good deal on pork, we separated it out. Three bags of four chops and two bags of two chops, all of which are vacuum sealed. Oh yeah, we are good for a while. All we will have to shop for are fresh produce, cheese and stuff we run out of. We won't have to do major shopping for two weeks or so. Please note that the picture below is almost the epitome of heaven for a man; a freezer full of meat.


I felt pretty good today. I have a clean house (for the most part) and I have more than enough food. Our bedroom needs minor work (mostly the bed and the love seat in there, Gabriel's room is the catch-all at the moment and the sun room just needs to be organized. The house doesn't look horrible at all. I never got to go for my walk but between the house work and the grocery shopping, I think I made up for it. I just have got to get into the habit of walking by myself again. I found a longer route around the neighborhood and one lap is a mile and a half. :) Oh yes, it shouldn't be so mundane now.

I'm not looking forward to washing two more hampers of clothes because it just means I am starting over on ironing. I just finished it today. Yeah I am pouting right now. However I did span it out all week. If I could just get two days of ironing, 2-3 hours each, I'd have it done so I wouldn't have to worry. I just got burnt out from a few weeks ago when we had to wash practically everything we owned. God I did enough ironing and folding that it pretty much lasted me that entire week. I hated the sight of fabric by the time that week was done.

I also got to prep and cook more quantity of food than I normally make. Everything was made from scratch. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Chicken/Detail.aspx


I was supposed to cook for six and a toddler so I made enough for about two servings per person. I made mashed potatoes with it. I took a bunch of potatoes, probably nine, and I cubed it. I boiled it in a huge pot with garlic powder and Italian seasoning so it would have some flavor going in. Once it was in a bowl, I added butter, milk, steak seasoning, cilantro, Italian seasoning, more garlic powder, and pepper. You would think it would be overpowering but it was still a bit bland, which is how I wanted it. The cream cheese chicken was put into two glass dishes and put in the oven. It was only supposed to cook for 15 minutes, but I was cautious. The chicken was packed in so tight that I kept it in for half an hour instead. It was still bubbling in it's own juices, but it still was dry. Trust me, I'd rather have dry chicken then semi raw chicken that would get all of us sick. Kristie and Desiree still said it was good. Daylan made banana fosters for dessert.

Plans changed a bit. I was going to boil some vegetables for the color but Amber and Marcus ditched at the last minute. They texted with "Amber just got off work and we still have important things to do." I was upset. I take things too personally and I know I should fix it. It's just they have known about dinner for a week but they  never responded to us till two or three days ago. I should have taken that as a hint. Daylan sent them a text and I sent something on FB. Half an hour ago, this is what Amber posted on FB. "So ran some erins today and while marc got his hair cut autumn and me went to petsmart and when we left autumn said..."bye kittty kitty, bye puppy, bye fish...lol shes funny." What THAT what was so important that ditched a free meal for?!? A hair cut and a trip to a pet store? I even had ravioli, juice or milk and yogurt for Autumn, who is 18 months (give or take) and kid movies set up on Netflix for her to watch. We bought extra beer for Marcus so he could have some. Actually we bought extra in case everyone wanted some. I like the beer anyway so I'll drink it. I get that Amber is 19 or 20 and Marcus is probably 22, but still. I should have known better.  Why do I even try?


Thankfully everyone had a larger serving than they wanted, and they ate it, so I don't have a ton of leftovers left. I have enough for one medium sized tupperware container which Daylan will just bring with him to work. I hate leftovers. I can eat a bunch of stuff in small amounts because I get tired of the taste. That is why I don't like leftovers; I get bored. It's also a good thing that Daylan is a human garbage disposal. He'll eat anything, even if there are a few ingredients he doesn't care for.


Now I'm sitting in bed because my back hurts. It tends to get sore if I have been on my feet all day. It was never this way before I was pregnant but this certainly isn't a symptom that has gone away. I'm just sitting so my back can stop aching and listening to the storm outside. The wind is howling and I heard big pieces of hail fall earlier. Tonight or tomorow is rumored to bring snow. If that is true, it will be the first snowfall all season. Even Florida had snow! I have yet to see it. I'd prefer it to snow during the day so I could actually see it, but I'd be happy with seeing snow on the ground when I woke up. 


I believe I will go ahead and finish this. I already posted the same pictures on FB so at least I don't have to worry about that. I just have to wash my makeup off and then I can read my book. I'm trying to make it a habit to read at night (in silence). Maybe it will calm my mind and give me just a little bit more peace. Besides, I have a ton of books that I own that I either haven't read or am halfway finished with. I might as well just start them all over.


Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment