Thursday, January 6, 2011

There have to be alternatives

We went grocery shopping again and once again our tab was over $100. I'll be the first to admit that we did buy stuff we didn't need. I didn't need the nuts but it was a healthy snack that was $1 each and I allowed Daylan to put stuff in that we didn't need. The fact still remains that we are spending way more than we should.

Since I started to put in real vegetables and real fruit in our diet, our bill has increased and the number of coupons I can use has decreased. Something has to give! I've been watching the show, Extreme Couponing, and have been trying to get inspired, but I can't do what they do. I don't have the space to have my own mini grocery store and I don't have a use for 30 items of certain things. I also won't be here long enough to find a local produce vender and a farm for meat. It is cool to be able to get a $630 bill down to $2.34. That practically is free food, but stuff would go bad before we could get to it.

Also, without a license, I don't have the means to go everywhere for coupons or shop in three different stores for the best deals. I should be able to get my license back by the end of next month (finally!) and I'll be able to do all that then. I can't wait. I can actually do the shopping how I want. Of course I'll be in FL and Daylan will be in TX but that is besides the point.

Daylan is just going to have to understand that we may have to shop in two stores: one for the meat and one for everything else (unless the store that carries our meat has a sale).

What I am considering, down the road, is growing my own vegetables. That would save on my produce costs but I don't have the room for it. For one, the house we are in now is his grandparent's rental. Nothing grows in the dirt here and if it did grow, the deer would eat it. What I want to grow requires a lot of soil and who knows if there are pots that are big enough for it. I want to grow spinach, broccoli, tomatoes (but I can get a topsy turvy for that), mushrooms, strawberries, carrots, mint and some other stuff. I'm sure most of these would spread fast and I would be better off growing them outdoors. I'm thinking that it would be better to wait till we own our own home.

I guess I'll just start with the small stuff or just stuff I know won't require a lot of room. I'm just not sure of what that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment