Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's all starting to catch up now...

Ok everyone, I'm not even 30 yet so I know I'm not old but I certainly am starting to feel it. My 28th birthday is in June and I haven't actually had a birthday celebration in years. It hasn't bothered me, at all really, but it does raise a few red flags in my head that hey I'm heading closer to that direction of "old". Here are some things that I have been noticing.


  1. Working longer shifts is killing me. I am use to my back hurting. It's been hurting since I was pregnant. Maybe my spine has been out of line or something but I've just learned to take an aspirin and the pain goes away. However it makes me feel older than I am when I start wobbling or walking funny because my whole body hurts. I sit down for twenty minutes when I get home and my whole body is stiff. It hurts something awful. A good nights rest doesn't help because I am still stiff in the morning.
  2. My hands are starting to hurt again. Maybe I have a mild form of arthritis? It was really bad the last time I worked at Sonic. My knuckles got swollen and I couldn't use my hands, literally, for a whole month. It didn't help that my power steering went out so Daylan had to drive me everywhere, open all the doors for me (like a gentleman should be doing anyway), open stuff for me (cans, doors, zippers, the button for my pants/shirts etc). It ended up going away. I'm noticing that my hands are hurting every day at Cheddars, but I realize that it has to do with working with the ice scoop and filling the ice bins. Still, I'm not even 28 yet. Why are my knuckles, and sometimes wrists, hurting everyday?
  3. Six hours of sleep just doesn't cut it anymore. Shoot, eight hours sometimes isn't enough. Nine is about right. Any more than that and I'll be groggy. Whatever happened to the days when I could function, properly, with five hours of sleep? Now if I get less than eight, I feel like I am going to die and that I will fall asleep walking.
  4. Yes, I've found three stray gray hairs since I've been in Texas. What garbage is that?!? I shouldn't be getting those till I'm closer to my 50's.
  5. Wrinkles. Once again, I shouldn't be getting crow's feet around my eyes till I'm closer to my 50's. Not only that, I don't tan. I wear sunscreen. I don't smoke anymore (July 24th will be two years) and I barely drink anymore. I just know my mom hasn't been aging gracefully but I shouldn't be starting this young.
  6. Apparently there is language and slang that is just beyond me now. "Text spelling" has always annoyed me, because if you can't take the time to type out what you are saying in proper spelling and grammar then don't bother typing it. Now there is a new slang and I'm often asking the younger kids at work (and facebook) what something means. Why do I even bother?
  7. I haven't been to a club in years. The thought of doing it now makes me groan. I use to LOVE going to clubs, drinking and dancing. How many years ago did I stop going and when did I start to hate it? 
  8. Shows like Jersey Shore, which is popular with the younger crowd, gives me a headache. I just turn that garbage off.
  9. Drinking, even once or twice a month (if that) is getting to be difficult for me now. If I am drinking a shot, my goodness I gag. I even get "hangovers" now. Not traditional hangovers, mind you, but hangovers none the less. When I was 21, I could drink to the point of puking, drink some more and still wake up fine. A little groggy but fine. Now if I have a few glasses of wine or beer, I wake up with a headache.
  10. Now that I am mentioning wine, when the hell did I start to enjoy that? For years I couldn't stand it. I still can't stand merlot, but I can drink some wine now. I even have a beer I love now (Shiners). 
  11. I'm in that in-between stage of clothes. I don't want to have my butt hanging out, my stomach showing or my boobs out, so I am outgrown that stage. I'm also not into middle aged clothes either. I wear a lot of solid color elbow length shirts with tank tops under it. My wardrobe use to be bold and exciting. Now it's bright and colorful but still boring. I also don't want to spend $5000 on a whole new wardrobe that is more age appropriate because, frankly, I don't have that kind of money to blow on clothes.
  12. Overhearing people at work talk about how they smoke pot in their downtime just annoys the crap out of me. 
Yeah, I'm just getting old.

3 comments:

  1. How did you manage to get in my head and read my thoughts...hmmmm.....on another note:

    if you decanter red wine for at least 30 minutes before drinking, it will change your life! I'm serious! Let it breathe, girl!!!! SOOOO much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't stand bitter/dry wine. Red wines tend to be that way. I tend to like white. It's not sweet, it's not bitter. It's right in between :).

    Girl, I've been thinking all this for a while now, but it's just been very clear to me now. It's like someone has a microphone and is yelling "You aren't 21 anymore. When will you get that through your head?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! I know, right?! I feel the SAME way!Yeah I'm not really a huge fan of red wine myself, I'm more into Riesling, although I do find myself drinking Chianti a lot more...I think I'm getting old...damn

    ReplyDelete