Friday, April 29, 2011

THESE are I think about when I am at work.

When I am at work, you would think that I would be thinking about work. I do, to an extent, but my thoughts never go beyond repetitious thoughts reminding myself to get drinks or whatever a customer needs. Beyond that, I really think of the dumbest things. I suppose it is better than thinking on mundane things such as dishes or taking a nap (I wish I could do that) but I just wanted to share some of the random garbage that enters my mind.

I am a slow reader! I've always been aware of it because it takes me forever to finish a book. I wish I was a speed reader but I am not sure if one really "learns" how to do that. My problem is that I tend to daydream as I am reading. It isn't that the book isn't entertaining. Once I realized that this happens, I go back and re-read it. I especially do this during conversations that go on within the book. If it weren't for that, I'd finish books a lot faster.

What the hell ever happened to parents bringing crayons, toy cars, barbies or toy dinosaurs to a restaurant? Whatever happened to a kid having a book to read? Yeah I know. You people don't want your kid coloring on everything and not touching the coloring book, so pay attention to your child to make sure that doesn't happen. You don't want your kids to be loud as they play. So? As long as they aren't screaming then there isn't an issue. You don't want to lug it all in and risk losing a toy. It happens! Bring a bag for the toys. Whatever you do, do not give a child your phone and let them play a game on it. I saw a three year old girl playing Angry Birds and a Dora game on her parent's phone while they were eating. Yeah, she was completely silent (almost hypnotized actually), but I couldn't help but think of how wrong that picture was. Who cares about modern technology and how convenient it is? A child still has to learn how to entertain themselves in a boring situation and how to act in a public situation. Don't stupefy them by shoving a phone or a portable game console in front of them. Yes, my five year old has one, but he also has iron man toys and toy dinosaurs to play with when we are out.

I often wonder what people in the restaurant think when they hear us in the kitchen. There are five tables on the other side of the wall that leads you to the kitchen. We have to call out loudly to the CA (Cook's Assistant) what we need rather than talking to the cooks directly. "I need a baby!" That is a house Caesar salad. "I need a bowl of pot!" It's a bowl of cheesy potato and bacon soup. What are they thinking when they hear us yell those two phrases? Sometimes you will hear other servers ask if we want twins or triplets or if we want a quarter or an ounce. It's all in good fun, but I think most of the people who sit in those tables (who aren't already involved in their own conversations) must think we are potheads. Well, most of the employees in the store are in fact potheads, but they don't know that. I do. "I need a baby! and a bowl of pot stat!"

So I had a Dianna Ross song in my head a while back. I was singing "Keeps Me Hanging On". I walked up to the hostess stand to see if I was cut or was still receiving tables and I said "I have Dianna Ross in my head. Now I can't remember if she had gone solo or if she was still with The Supremes when 'Keeps Me Hanging On' was made." The hostesses and a server all looked at me funny. I asked if they knew who Dianna Ross is. They still gave me a weird look and then shook their heads. I asked "Do you know who Elvis was? (nods) Ok. Do you know who Michael Jackson was? (nods). Well, she is just as famous but she is still alive." Then I found out that the two hostesses were sixteen and the server was nineteen. How do you NOT know who Dianna Ross is? They don't know any musical artist from the year 2000 and prior! The only reason they "know" some 80's songs is because artists are remaking them. They know the song title but they don't know who the original artist was. They've never heard of it or the name of the artist. James, one of the managers, talks to me about this all the time. I may not know all the artists but I know their songs and vice versa. I may not like the artist but I know who they are. My parents listened to oldies as I grew up. My friend, Jacqui, listened to 60's when we were growing up. I love 80's music. I always have. Apparently they don't have the same musical pallet. Some don't know who The Beatles were, who ZZ Top and Elton John are. Really?!? But they know who Justin Bieber is!

One of the servers, Autumn, just found out that she is pregnant. She has 48 more days till she leaves the center she is at. I asked if if she was planning on keeping the baby, and she said yes, so now she is trying to come up with names. She likes exotic names, as I do, but she needs a name that is also going to be somewhat ethnic since her baby will be half black and half white. All day yesterday I was coming up with names. I bet people thought I had gone insane.

Daylan says that couponing/shopping with coupons is now an addiction. Not an obsession but in fact an addiction. He says I need an intervention. They need to send me to rehab. He says I go to Walgreens to buy stuff we already own. What does he think having my own mini stockpile means? I get one of everything? No I get enough of a few items I use to last me a while just in case something happens. I am working on laundry detergent, conditioner, body wash, pads, tampons and disposable razors. He also thought it was funny when I didn't get coupons in the Sunday Paper. I was talking to his cousin on the phone and I said something along the lines of "Not everyone celebrates Easter. Even if they do, not everyone could celebrate it. They took the coupons out to 'promote family time'. You have the entire day to do that and you spend every day with your family. It takes ten minutes to clip coupons, unless you are nuts about it. I really don't think it is going to hinder 'family time'. I mean hell, Jesus died how many effin years ago? He only died once and he only rose once. He doesn't do it every Easter so give me my damn coupons." Well I gladly read yesterday that most areas in the Unites States will be making up for this fact by having six coupon inserts in this Sunday's paper. I really do hope my area is one of the areas that will get blessed. I want a bunch of super cool coupons to make up for last Sunday. Besides, my shopping trips sucked because nothing was on sale either. Supposedly the 4th of July won't have coupons either. Are they afraid they will catch the couponer on fire or something?!? Gimme my coopins!

One of my favorite servers quit. I really liked her and I got along with her well. She quit for a few reasons. Earlier last week I told her that another server was talking crap about her. I told her she needed to be careful who she talked to and what information she shared. I just wouldn't tell her who it was because of two reasons: it was told to me out of confidence and I also didn't want the two of them fighting at work. Enough people were arguing. Look, if I know someone is talking crap about someone, it's their right to know. I don't care if it is true or not. One doesn't need to be nice to the other if this is going on. They should be civil, yes, but don't go out of your way to talk to the other. Well, the server got mad at me. If I was the one making this up, why would I tell her directly? Towards the end of the night I told her who it was. By that time, it was quitting time so there wasn't going to be a fight during business hours. The rumors was that she was kissing other servers, had cheated on her husband with a different person in the store and didn't shower (which is why she wore so much perfume). She just didn't want to smell like cigarettes.

It turns out that it was true. Another server was using the girls phone to text her boyfriend. Well the one I liked continued to text (well she was texting the other server's boyfriend's cousin-who was using this phone so his wife wouldn't find out) and was saying things that she shouldn't have been saying to anyone except her husband. Apparently she has been out with quite a few guys, drunk, and says she did what she did because she was fucked up. Look, it's all heresy but if it is in fact true, then you should only be drunk when your husband is around...or get a divorce. She also didn't show up for a shift she volunteered for and a shift she was scheduled for. Supposedly for two days she said that tables were leaving without paying her. Not that many people walk out like that, so she owes the store $179. She isn't going to get her paychecks until she pays the store back, but I doubt she will pick up her checks. She didn't make that much anyway. Most server's don't. Essentially she quit because she was not hiding her personal life and we became aware of it. It's a shame; I really liked her.

I would continue, but I have an hour to get ready for work. I need to put on makeup, eat and iron my uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment