Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh how the young fall

I'm getting to be concerned about one of the kids that I work with. He is one of the bus boys and he use to do a really good job at work. Now it seems as though he spends more time walking and talking with the servers than he does actually working. He even borrowed some money from us so he could get lunch, but he ended up getting other stuff too. If you don't have money and are borrowing it, why are you getting desserts?

Yesterday he was late to work and some of the servers were talking about how he got so trashed last night that he was becoming annoying. He is 17 and they had to call his mom to tell her he was going to sleep on their couch last night. Well, I don't know if they called her or not, but regardless. He came in to work with his pants tore up to hell. He didn't even look alive when he came in. He looked like he was sleep walking. He was very hungover. He wouldn't even do his job and when he did, he was dropping glasses and dishes.

Sarah told him to go home when she saw that his pants were tore up. She could also see through his shirt to see the shirt he had written on underneath. I guess he was supposed to work a double because he ended up coming back to the store but in his street clothes. He was high as a kite. I could smell pot on him. Yes, I got on to him about it and he got angry at me. Who the hell shows up at their job, high, and goes back to get their own food and drinks? When I saw him he was getting a drink but since he was high and probably getting the munchies, I'm sure he was going to try to con someone to get him some free food as well. He did not like my telling him he needed to get out of the back of the restaurant. It looks bad on us! A customer who is walking past the kitchen to get go to the bathroom could walk past him as he is leaving the kitchen and would smell the pot on him. It wasn't subtle, it was powerful. I probably could have got a second hand high being around him. That looks horrible on us as a restaurant!

Another server told him to go home and spend time with his mom.  He made it very clear. I guess he saw the busser last night and saw how he was. Perhaps he has seen a lot of him lately and has seen him drink. I don't know what's been going on lately but I noticed the boy say he was drinking a few months ago and that his mom is pretty lenient as far as what he does. I wonder if his mother knows the whole story.

Either way, this is not a good path for the boy to be taking. Drinking on a regular basis and smoking that much pot in a single sitting? Yes I drank and smoked pot when I was a kid. I also knew not to drink or smoke much but I was still a KID. I was 17 once and hell I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I thought I knew it all but I know I didn't. I also knew deep down I didn't. This boy is not going down a good path. He is screwing up his job on top of this. I remember what being a teenager was like but I also remember seeing much more happiness when I got out of that phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment