Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Holy crap!

It was rumored that we would get snow but I found it hard to believe since it was so warm yesterday. We had both doors open all day long so we could air out the house. According to The Weather Channel, it was an average of 60 with a brief high of 80. It suddenly dropped around 9pm and it got down to 20. This is some bipolar weather. We have a low of 10 tonight so I will definitely have a fire going tonight. The thing that gets me is that it will slowly climb, starting tomorrow, and it will be in the low 60's again by Saturday. Anyway, back to the story. The storm that came certainly brought rain. First it turned into pea-sized hail, then it became sleet, and it quickly turned into snow.

There was still lightning all around me and the snow began to fall hard. I've never seen lightning and snow together but it was beautiful! Man it was cold. I have on a tank top, a thin long sleeved shirt and a sweater on but snow still fell into my bra. I didn't make a good choice on clothes. I had on leggings, my pj pants and sweat pants on. I was shaking. I wore more today as I took pictures and the wind still cut through me. Unfortunately my gloves, scarf and ear muffs are in storage. What the hell!

Anyway, snow is not a big deal to most people. In fact, it seems as though people hate it. I truly was excited. It just doesn't seem like we will get anymore snow. I'm now seeing rain clouds in the forecast at all today. It's cloudy but I doubt we will get more snow. I figured it would be that way when I found it was snowing last night. I ran out there because who knows how long this would have lasted. Here are the pictures.

It started out as pea-sized hail. It hit our roof with such force that I thought it was much larger. It quickly went to sleet and then snow.

This is what I walked out to an hour and a half later when I heard the hail stop.

This is the first time my car has seen snow. That is Daylan's dad's car. They traded for the time being because the Durango really needs new hubs and bearings, but we are still waiting on them to come in.

Can you tell that I am happy?

The ground here isn't as level as it appears to be. There are lots of holes and slopes. Slightly off to the right is where the cliff starts. I refused to walk in the grass in fear I would twist my ankle again.

This picture reminds me of the "orbs" people claim to see when they are witnessing something paranormal. This was just beautiful. I couldn't catch the sky when it was lit up from the lightning but it truly was a sight to see.

You can barely see the rocks and the boat in the front yard but they were starting to get their layer of snow.

I truly was amazed to be seeing snow. It seemed at though everyone else in the country got snow and it just bypassed us. I had two or three inches on my car by the time I got outside.

This was when it really started to get heavy.

By this point, you wouldn't know there was a boat out there unless you knew to look for it.

I was wearing layers but I didn't choose the right sweater. Snow kept falling into my bra and making me jump. It certainly was a wake up call. My hair also started to get heavy as the snow layered my head.

It's funny how my roots look gray because of the snow that accumulated at the top of my head.

I was laughing.

This was as far as I'd venture into the back yard. I twisted my ankle one night because I stepped into a hole that an animal dug. I couldn't see the hole due to the snow.

I wish I could have stayed awake so I could see what it looked like outside at 5 or 6 am. I'm sure everything was white. I bet you couldn't see any color anywhere.

By this point, I had to delete a bunch of pictures. I was shaking so hard that the pictures were blurry. I knew it was close to my limit. I didn't stay out much longer.

Enough said :)

My camera had to be wiped off quite a few times since the snow was so heavy. The last thing I needed was for it to not work because it got wet.

The view of the boat as it got it's layer.
This was taken this morning. I never thought I'd see a picture of a cactus covered in snow. It's an oxymoron.

You can see some color (brown) in the distance but if the trees had leaves, you would have seen any color.

This is no longer snow, it was now ice. The crunching as I walked made me hungry for cereal.

It really was beautiful. I would have stayed outside longer but I wouldn't stay. I spent half as much time outside this morning as I did last night. There wasn't any wind last night. Oh there was wind today.

A close up of the tree out front.

That, my friends, is solid ice. I slipped quite a few times on it so I can imagine how bad driving was. The roads get salted in town, but we are on the out skirts.

Holy crap, those are huge icicles!

Don't mind the hideous color of the house and just focus on the ice. I didn't paint the house.

I'd guess that those icicles were 24 inches or so.
Speaking of 24 inches, I've been watching The Weather Channel. Chicago is supposed to get a major blizzard soon. They are estimated to getting 24+ inches of snow in a very short period of time. It is supposed to be "The worst snow fall since 1967". I'm not sure when the blizzard will hit but I am assuming it is close. Oklahoma City is being plummeted right now. Cory is still in Chicago and Kristen is a few hours away in St. Louis. I'm getting  a little concerned. I told them both that I'd be sad if they were icicles and that thawing them out would take a while. They better keep warm. I don't want to hear that their cars are abandoned on the side of the road somewhere.  I will keep watching from time to time and see if I can get updated from them. I wonder what the city will look like afterward? I have pictures of snow from a slight blizzard I missed when I was in Chicago. It was beautiful but it was only six inches of snow. This is going to be two feet of snow and that is on top of the snow that they already have up there. Geez, this could be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment