Sunday, February 27, 2011

If you build it...

Daylan and I were talking about whether or not it would be cheaper to just buy a house or to build one. We both believe it would be cheaper, here in Texas, to build one. In Florida, it is cheaper to buy but the housing is double the cost than it is here. If I were to buy, I'd have so many other hassles to deal with. Is it really worth it?

Look, I know that I know nothing about the housing market and my "knowledge" is based off of shows I've seen on HGTV. Experience trumps assumption and all I have are assumptions. From what I gathered, you have to pay a realtor to show you homes that aren't quite what you want but you try to narrow it down to what has the most features off of your list to the price. Sometimes you really have to compromise. If the house is popular, then you have a wage war. Who can give the previous owner or the builder the most money. You go through closing costs, home inspections and then you pay to alter the house to how you want it. Couldn't I just bypass most of that and just build a home how I would want it?

I'm sure I'd still need a house inspection and I know I'd still need a buttload of insurance to cover it, but I think I'd rather pay a bit extra for a house that has every quality I need and want than to worry about jumping through all those hoops just to have to fix the house up. Maybe I don't want wall paper or carpets in the living room. I'd rather go through the sleepless nights, the gray hairs and the timeline to build a house that won't have to be fixed for a long time. It would be brand new. No sudden repairs that have to be dealt with and while I understand I'd have a house with absolutely no history I would still have a home who's history starts with me.

Where I build a house will have to be a place where I can see myself living for a long time. I don't want to have to give up the house because a better job offer was elsewhere. If I am to become a nurse, I'd rather work near the best hospital in the country (assuming they'd hire me) so I don't have to worry about better offers. It's a long shot but a girl can dream.

So how would I have my house? I'd want a house with a wide parking lot, not a long one. People can park and go when they please and I wouldn't have to worry about finding keys. I'd want the dining room and living room side by side but I want the connecting wall to be mostly 3/4 walls so that I could light candles on top. I haven't decided on if I want an open kitchen to the living room or if I want there to be a serving wall somewhere for the kitchen and dining room. I want the guest rooms on the opposite side of the house as the master bedroom. I want a finished basement that could be Daylan's man cave and a den for my makeup and/or crafts. I do want an attic for storage but I want to have a shed. I want to have a green house. I want a large laundry room/pantry off the kitchen. I want there to be a deck in the back yard so that we could have BBQ's. The master bathroom would have a deep metal tub big enough to where I can submerge myself as well as a shower. There would be two sinks and plenty of space where we could keep our stuff. Oh and let's not forget a walk-in closet for the master bedroom. Having a room for exercise equipment would be nice.

I'm sure this would have to be a big house. I'm sure if would require a big income and a lot of land. But you don't know. By the time we get settled down and get enough finances in order, it could be possible. My brother built his house outside of Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment