Saturday, February 26, 2011

Spell check has ruined us.

I ran into a really funny clip this evening. It took all of fifteen seconds, but I was laughing incredibly hard. My gut was hurting. I even played it for my fiance and he just grinned. After I heard the video, I noticed everyone's posts online. It seems as though the basics have been lost on us.

Basic grammar has been forgotten. No one knows how to not have run-on sentences. Colons and semi-colons are a thing of the past. Yes, I'm guilty of grammatical errors. I use "LOL" and emoticons that represent faces. However I don't shorten words that aren't even true abbreviations. I don't use text talk. I don't shorten sentences or respell words. People can read what I write without having to guess and guess incorrectly. No one knows how to spell anymore because we rely on the spell checkers on our computers.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=1731265676318&comments

What's hilarious about this video is...wait, what isn't funny about this video? Who the hell gets a call about being attacked by a warthog? Really? Warthogs are in the woods! What is it doing in a neighborhood? What did they do? Did they throw a can at it because it was eating food out of their trash can? I just couldn't help but have this voice in my head that is doubled over from laughing (yes the voice in my head does a says a lot of weird stuff) while I'm listening to all fifteen seconds of the video. To me, redneck/hick/boggie accents are hilarious.

No offense, but I've always viewed those accents as a sign of being uneducated. They use words, such as "coolin box" instead of a refrigerator. "Fishin poe" instead of fishing poles. I have "family" who live in Alabama and Mississippi, and trust me, I believe that despite they "job" they have that they are dumb as a rock. I can say this because members of my father's family have asked us "Where's yall's coolin box??" I respond with "The refrigerator is located in the kitchen and almost every kitchen in the country is located in the middle of the house. It's the room with all the appliances and no beds, futons or couches." Yes, I'm a bitch.Yes, I laughed at the man because of his accent. Whoops. Back to the story at hand.

What's even better is the fact that this man, and his wife, more than likely live on this road. I say this because he knew what the neighboring street was. If he lives on that street, why couldn't he spell it? If he didn't live on it, how did he know that the next street's name?

Yes, it's a good idea to marry someone who can spell.


Go ahead. Listen to the video again. You know you want to. Oh the tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment