Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Colorado?

I hadn't mentioned this yet, here, but there is a reason as to why I am moving to Florida as soon as I am. Daylan is close to getting a GM position within Sonic up in Pueblo, CO. He's been there for the past two days visiting the store and talking to the head hauncho up there. We were told, by our friend Cory, that Daylan would be making about $50,000 a year. In all reality, Daylan would be making $37,000 but he would actually get bonuses each month which would bring him closer to 50K. If the store scores a $100 on their mystery shops, then each manager gets a certain amount of money. I was shopping when he was telling me this so I don't know if $750 is correct. I doubt it is. I think in Beauregard the managers get $100 if they get a 100.

Anyway, right now Daylan makes about $27,000 a year. He should have been getting bonus checks for the past year and a half but for whatever reason he hasn't been getting them even though he's been doing the inventory for the store. I keep telling him he should report this, but he never does. If he were to move, he would be getting an extra 10K a year, but I'm wondering if this is even going to be worth it.

Right now we are living rent free in the lake house. We just pay for the utilities. Cost of living is about the same. Gas is about twenty cents cheaper. Groceries are higher. The difference is we would actually have to pay for rent. Well, he will because I won't be in Colorado yet. The place he is looking at is around $800 a month. That is an extra $9600 that he is going to have to spend. That pretty much cancels out what he would be making in just the base pay. That extra 10K would go towards rent. He is talking about getting a place with Cory, a three bedroom place, so that would help. We could get a room, Gabriel would have his own room and Cory. Rent would be split three ways, as would utilities (assuming Cory does in fact move in with Daylan) but still. If Cory doesn't move in and Daylan just gets a place for him, until I move there, he really would be making the same amount of money. Yes he will be getting bonus checks, no he won't be spending as much on groceries each month but if there isn't a place where he can rent video games, he will end up buying them which would cost about as much each month as our groceries. Ok, maybe that is an exaggeration but still.

I'm wondering if this is going to be worth it. When I originally heard 50K, I was excited about that. That was pretty much double the pay he would be getting now. The hours would still be the same but he would finally be making more money. Now I'm not so sure about this.

Technically the job isn't his yet. But why fly him up there and tell him to tell me to find apartments up here if the job wasn't his yet?

5 comments:

  1. I think it would be worth it; I know that you have been struggling in your job for a while, so you may have a better opportunity in CO as well. Plus, anytime there is opportunity for growth in whatever corporation you are working for, it's always a good thing. You never know where this position may take Daylan! I say go for it! A change of scenery is always a good thing, and also it would take you out of the drama that seems to be his family :)And just think of all the outdoor entertainment you guys could do for free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true. There is more stuff to do there. Daylan still is unsure if he wants to go to culinary school (so he can open his own restaurant) or try to work his way up the corporate ladder and be a regional supervisor. I don't see him leaving Sonic anytime soon so I think that that would be a better route for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy...and it seems increasingly clear that you are not happy in Texas. Maybe you could get your makeup business off the ground in Colorado :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't know what is going to make me happy at this point.

    ReplyDelete