Saturday, August 27, 2011

That stupid monkey wrench

Yesterday I seemed to run into a snag with my plans which sent me into a panic attack right as I was going to work. I try to do my important phone calls in town because my house does not get good reception to anyone except friends like Dennis and Cory. I typically try to do two things at once by driving to work as I try to get business done.

With time running out, I called the unit that Dennis looked at and wanted to ask them a few more questions before I settled. The problem with working these extra shifts is that I haven't had the time to do the things I've been needing to do BUT I need more money to move. The lady at the rental property said that her and her company do not rent to people unless they have had three months of active work within the area.....

How am I supposed to do that when I'm not even IN the state of Florida?

How does that work with people who are transferring jobs. They have the work experience in the state or city that they were in but obviously they are moving because their job transferred them. So if that was the case, with the three rental properties I called, how does one rent? Do they stay in an extended stay hotel until then?

I called another place for a unit that was $600 a month.....which is the max I can pay living on my own. Between rent, all the utilities, food, gas for the car, cell phone, car insurance, car payments...I am worried I can afford even that much. This company said that they were flexible with this but that they required the renter to have three times the rent in their account at a time. He said something else but the connection on my phone was going in and out. I'm pretty sure he was explaining what would happen if I was late on rent or something.

I emailed my father to see if he knew of any ways to get past this loop hole. I said some places I looked into were not in the best parts of Fort Walton. I know these places aren't good because the reputation of these areas are not.....charming. I also said some places were out in Crestview or Defuniak. My dad agreed that I should stay away from areas I am not comfortable in even if the price is right because I do not want to have my place broken into. He said with all the military people coming into town, Crestview will be full and while Defuniak is a good place to live, as well as up and coming, the drive will be taxing. My car doesn't get great gas mileage, despite the year of it, and with gas prices still at $3.68, it will be expensive for me to live out there.

His suggestion was that I stay in the cabin in Freeport for the course of a month but I had to work full time to find a job. It's so I can save up money again because this move is going to deplete what I've saved up so far. I think it is the best solution but now the hassle goes to finding a job.

Daylan finally updated my resume for me but he didn't change the cell phone number. Once he emails it to me again, he can get on my computer and save it into the hard drive so that I can email it out to companies. Online applications don't seem to be doing me any good. All I am getting is emails saying that my application is in review and thanking me for my interest to work within their company. Restaurants keep telling me that they will fax an application to me, but only 1/3 of them have. How is this a bad thing? I do not understand how this is a problem. They aren't even losing the paper. Yes I do understand I am not in the area and they would feel for comfortable if I was there, but I can't just move back without a job. It took forever to find a job here once I moved. I can't afford to go through that again so this time I am just going to go with restaurant jobs since I will probably find one faster. I don't want another one, but I finally had to cave once I got desperate here. Sure enough, in three or four days, I had a job and I had the job right when I put the application back in. This time I will just say screw it, apply as a waitress and see if I can find something better as a second job later down the line.

Now the question I am struggling with today is do I pick up a morning shift. With Daylan at work, and most restaurants not open till 11, I am debating this. I could use the money on this shift for this morning but I do need to have an afternoon to find a job. I could go in at 4 and continue to call restaurants to fax over applications but they just haven't been cooperating with me. I can't send the resume till he can rig it to where I can do that. I'm not tech-savy so I can not do this on my own. I do have tomorrow afternoon/evening off and all day Monday. So do I work and make extra money or do I try to continue to find a job for before the move???


God, I am pretty sure I am going to pick up a morning shift. If only he had changed my cell phone number on my resume! This is when I wish we had a fax machine at the lake house. We use to. This wouldn't be nearly the hassle. I do understand that people are hesitant on hiring me because I am not in Florida right now. They would feel more comfortable knowing I already made that move and can see me as I ask for applications. They would be comfortable but it doesn't make ME more comfortable.

**Update**
I just called and Eric said there are no open sections but I can call back at noon to see if anyone called out, didn't show up or wants to go home. Part of me was sad when he said no but part of me was happy. Then part of me was sad when he said to try again at noon while part of me was excited. I'm just so stressed out about this whole ordeal that I am not sure HOW I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment