Saturday, August 13, 2011

Que the songs with "Rain" in the title----It's raining men! Hallelujah it's raining men!


Right now it's 9:30 am and I'm sure that the power will be back on before I go to work at noon. I just happened to wake up at my normal time because I heard the rain. The thunder didn't come until later. Really I don't mind rain at all. I've always liked it but I prefer it at night. I usually don't drive at night, the lightning is beautiful and the thunder makes the night so eerie. It also helps make the mornings so much cooler and more pleasant.

We have been needing the rain! I think it's only rained twice since the first of the year. It's unreal for me since I'm use to it raining in Florida about once or twice a month. We do go through our "monsoon season" where it will rain half of the month. So much for The Sunshine State, huh? It just helps makes the area so green. It's what we need here. Everything needs to come back to life for a brief moment. We've been in the 100's for the past few months and I don't care how humid it will get here; I am ready for a day, or possibly two, of cool weather and no sunshine.

I know people here don't know how to drive in the rain. That much is very obvious. They don't know how to drive when it's sunny and dry either so it's no surprise. I'm just hoping that the Concho River doesn't flood again. That was one of my very first posts on this blog. I'm on the other wise of town so I don't have to worry about any of that but it is still a cause for concern.

Oh sweet rain. How I've missed you so! Just bring back the power. My house is already too hot and I do have to get ready for work in an hour. Please? Just say "Give me light!" and I will be a happy camper.

**UPDATE**

It is now 6:00pm.




I left to go to work at 11 even though I wasn't due till noon. It's a good thing I did! Everything was flooded. You could barely see the road. There was a car stranded on the side. I took one of them to the gas station since they weren't sure if they simply ran out of gas or not. It turns out it wasn't the issue but they didn't want me to take them anywhere. Shortly after, the check engine and check gauges lights turned on. The durango started to sputter so I pulled off to the side, but the car in park and revved the engine so that the water would either get out or evaporate. A minute later everything seemed back to normal. I'm assuming the river flooded because even areas around the restaurant flooded. One of the server's had to call out because she woke up to her house being flooded. Of course if the area had adequate drainage like Florida does, this wouldn't have been an issue. At least I came home to the house feeling cool!

When it rains, it pours. Enjoy the few pictures I was able to take.





You can barely see the roads because it was underwater. Most of the road was actually covered in red water from the soil flowing down from the bluff. It looked like a river of blood. Unfortunately I couldn't catch that :(




An area around my house that was flooded. It looks like it is at least two feet deep.




Another area by the house. Now this area was dangerously high.




This was a little bit after the rain started. Luckily my house didn't flood. Only the driveway did. The rest of the water just flowed down the bluff.




The backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment